Workington woman taken to hospital after house fire
Last updated at 17:05, Monday, 16 April 2012
A fire engulfed a Workington house bringing a busy road to a standstill.
Two fire crews were called to Mossbay Road at around 3pm and were met by flames coming out of the ground floor window.
A woman in her 50s was in a “distressed state” and taken to West Cumberland Hospital, Whitehaven, suffering from smoke inhalation.
At least eight firefighters battled to put out the blaze and stopped it spreading beyond the living room.
Firefighter David Grieves, of Workington station, said: “Flames were licking out of the window.
“We saw a woman in the back garden in a distressed state, and an ambulance took her to the West Cumberland Hospital.”
The fire started in one of the corners of the ground floor living room by some electrical equipment.
An investigation has been launched.
First published at 17:04, Monday, 16 April 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- A595 roadworks completed
- West Cumbrian rapist sentenced to 12 years in prison
- Firm keeps La’al Ratty on track
- Hotel copule earn top AA award
- Hotel puts its energy into biomass boiler
- Chamber launches West Cumbria business breakfast
- Former lecturer restores rotting Maryport boat
- Vandals take plaques in memory of Great Clifton teen David Foster (10 comments)
- Broughton Moor care home approved despite objections (4 comments)
- Maryport plans tourism drive with Mary Portas cash (1 comment)