Workington woman taken to hospital after house fire
Last updated at 17:05, Monday, 16 April 2012
A fire engulfed a Workington house bringing a busy road to a standstill.
Two fire crews were called to Mossbay Road at around 3pm and were met by flames coming out of the ground floor window.
A woman in her 50s was in a “distressed state” and taken to West Cumberland Hospital, Whitehaven, suffering from smoke inhalation.
At least eight firefighters battled to put out the blaze and stopped it spreading beyond the living room.
Firefighter David Grieves, of Workington station, said: “Flames were licking out of the window.
“We saw a woman in the back garden in a distressed state, and an ambulance took her to the West Cumberland Hospital.”
The fire started in one of the corners of the ground floor living room by some electrical equipment.
An investigation has been launched.
First published at 17:04, Monday, 16 April 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Go-ahead for 320-home Cockermouth estate (7 comments)
- Pupils' plea for new lollipop man or woman
- Double retirement at Aspatria's Beacon Hill School
- Pharmacy opening times over Christmas and new year
- Council services during festive period
- Search for family of VC hero ahead of memorial event
- Anger at closure of town register office
- Man airlifted to hospital after major fall in Workington
- Controversial Cockermouth housing estate plans given go ahead by Allerdale council (2 comments)
- West Cumbrian road closed as water main bursts