Workington woman taken to hospital after house fire
Last updated at 17:05, Monday, 16 April 2012
A fire engulfed a Workington house bringing a busy road to a standstill.
Two fire crews were called to Mossbay Road at around 3pm and were met by flames coming out of the ground floor window.
A woman in her 50s was in a “distressed state” and taken to West Cumberland Hospital, Whitehaven, suffering from smoke inhalation.
At least eight firefighters battled to put out the blaze and stopped it spreading beyond the living room.
Firefighter David Grieves, of Workington station, said: “Flames were licking out of the window.
“We saw a woman in the back garden in a distressed state, and an ambulance took her to the West Cumberland Hospital.”
The fire started in one of the corners of the ground floor living room by some electrical equipment.
An investigation has been launched.
First published at 17:04, Monday, 16 April 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Bid to install defibrillators in phone boxes
- CN Group Business Awards launched
- Tuck in to Eats!
- Settlement fears over bid to move admin staff
- Police to move from Marvejols Park base
- New-look pub open
- £500,000 for major upgrade at care home
- New boost for Workington centre’s development
- 80-year-old twins celebrate birthday
- Organiser Gary to launch yet another trawler race weekend
- Dalton Carnival
- Space dust (7 comments)
- Memories from 1970
- Hawkshead Agricultural Show (1 comment)
- Collection of bulky waste will cost £30
- Appeal for bloom entries
- Haven aim to dent table-topping Leigh
- Glittering ceremony for South Lakes award winners
- Wheel good fun
- Glaxo staff safety record is praised
- Cumbria duo jailed for handling stolen goods (1 comment)
- Infection could rock confidence
- Model performance by Kells
- Cumbria police investigating after £25,000 damage to trees (2 comments)
- Cumbrian lottery winner stole from his employers
- Alleged sex offender due in Barrow court
- Student attack
- Updated: Barrow drink-drive suspect bailed after crash between two cars and a cyclist on A590
- Gluten-free challenge - day five
- Dalton Zoo spots an opportunity to re-home snow leopard (4 comments)