Workington woman taken to hospital after house fire
Last updated at 17:05, Monday, 16 April 2012
A fire engulfed a Workington house bringing a busy road to a standstill.
Two fire crews were called to Mossbay Road at around 3pm and were met by flames coming out of the ground floor window.
A woman in her 50s was in a “distressed state” and taken to West Cumberland Hospital, Whitehaven, suffering from smoke inhalation.
At least eight firefighters battled to put out the blaze and stopped it spreading beyond the living room.
Firefighter David Grieves, of Workington station, said: “Flames were licking out of the window.
“We saw a woman in the back garden in a distressed state, and an ambulance took her to the West Cumberland Hospital.”
The fire started in one of the corners of the ground floor living room by some electrical equipment.
An investigation has been launched.
First published at 17:04, Monday, 16 April 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Fightback begins as Cockermouth Main Street reopens (1 comment)
- Volunteer drivers step up after Maryport bus cuts (2 comments)
- Work begins on Workington snooker hall demolition
- Security increased at theft-hit West Cumbrian church
- Maryport girl becomes youngest qualified diver in Cumbria
- West Cumbria GP to join fight against deadly Ebola
- West Cumbrian village hall work pays off
- New group planned to give a voice to Workington traders
- Cockermouth School to consult again on switching to an academy
- Battle on against Workington turbines