Workington woman taken to hospital after house fire
Last updated at 17:05, Monday, 16 April 2012
A fire engulfed a Workington house bringing a busy road to a standstill.
Two fire crews were called to Mossbay Road at around 3pm and were met by flames coming out of the ground floor window.
A woman in her 50s was in a “distressed state” and taken to West Cumberland Hospital, Whitehaven, suffering from smoke inhalation.
At least eight firefighters battled to put out the blaze and stopped it spreading beyond the living room.
Firefighter David Grieves, of Workington station, said: “Flames were licking out of the window.
“We saw a woman in the back garden in a distressed state, and an ambulance took her to the West Cumberland Hospital.”
The fire started in one of the corners of the ground floor living room by some electrical equipment.
An investigation has been launched.
First published at 17:04, Monday, 16 April 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Leisure centre go-ahead for Workington (4 comments)
- NEW PHOTOS: Sun shone on Sealy Spyatstock
- Day out at Maryport for Iggesund golfers
- Frank built 42-year career with West Cumbrian construction company
- Workington care home put residents’ safety ‘at risk’
- West Cumbria woman Harriet turns 100
- Performing arts hub planned for Workington
- Workington boy scores top marks for school attendance
- Council couple lead Maryport parking charge fight
- Help former Workington Reds kit man net charity cash