Workington woman taken to hospital after house fire
Last updated at 17:05, Monday, 16 April 2012
A fire engulfed a Workington house bringing a busy road to a standstill.
Two fire crews were called to Mossbay Road at around 3pm and were met by flames coming out of the ground floor window.
A woman in her 50s was in a “distressed state” and taken to West Cumberland Hospital, Whitehaven, suffering from smoke inhalation.
At least eight firefighters battled to put out the blaze and stopped it spreading beyond the living room.
Firefighter David Grieves, of Workington station, said: “Flames were licking out of the window.
“We saw a woman in the back garden in a distressed state, and an ambulance took her to the West Cumberland Hospital.”
The fire started in one of the corners of the ground floor living room by some electrical equipment.
An investigation has been launched.
First published at 17:04, Monday, 16 April 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- HAVE YOUR SAY: £300m West Cumbrian water supply move to save mussels (1 comment)
- Maryport mourns rugby player who died in Eastbourne Pier fall (1 comment)
- Seaton Brownies exhibition brings back memories for Mary
- Blencathra hopes are still high
- Business booming for Claire's Cockermouth coffee shop
- Family raise funds in memory of Maryport woman Clare
- Facelift for Workington Hall if council can stump up the £300,000
- Call for action in Cockermouth over huge trees
- No compensation over Cockermouth roadworks (1 comment)
- Maryport churches host exhibitions