Youngsters on court at Workington estate
Last updated at 14:31, Friday, 01 August 2014
It could be game, set and match for budding tennis stars on Workington’s Moorclose estate.
Stephen Stoddart and members of Moorclose Residents’ Group this week marked the outlines for three tennis courts on land near St Gregory’s School.
They were given £1,000 from Your Derwent & Solway to set up the courts and pay for three nets, 60 balls and 16 rackets.
The land is owned by Allerdale council.
Alex Hunter, aged six, of Moorclose, said: “There’s not much for kids to do around here so it is nice to be able to come somewhere safe with my friends and get some exercise.”
Members will send out 600 flyers over the next few weeks asking for young people and their parents to go along to the tennis sessions every Monday and Thursday between 5pm and 7pm.
They hope to attract tennis coaches and have enough members to set up a tennis club.
Vincent Walker, a member of the residents’ group, said: “This used to be a play area but there has been nothing on it for years.
“A lot of youngsters in this area don’t have any direction. This will give them somewhere to go and something to focus on. It’s a great thing for the community.”
Muriel Nicholson said: “I have lived opposite this site for 30 years and it’s absolutely brilliant that there is now something here for the kids.
“The group put up football posts on the green last year and set up a team, which is thriving. We hope that the tennis courts will be as well used.”
First published at 14:16, Friday, 01 August 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Workington Hall safety work begins
- PHOTOS: Troops march into the heart of Maryport
- Wreath mission to war graves of town’s fallen
- Garage beauty salon’s 10 years
- Keswick's former pencil factory to be sold
- Gary the Ferret’s big day out leads to uproar on bus
- Bid to replace vandalised seating
- Judge tells allotment holders to leave in six weeks
- Traders in TV advert push to promote town (2 comments)
- Friends plan party to remember Chloe at 21