£450,000 inshore rescue boathouse is shipshape
Published at 14:55, Friday, 27 June 2014
Maryport's new £450,000 boathouse has been officially opened by Workington MP Sir Tony Cunningham and his wife Lady Anne.
The boathouse provides the town’s volunteer inshore rescue service with a facility which is more than twice the size of its old base.
Mike Messenger, station officer, said the previous boathouse, built in 1889 for a rowing boat, could barely house the rescue boat and there were no other facilities.
The new boathouse is part of a £1.2 million development on the harbour.
It has two garages which provide space for rescue gear and a workshop.
There is a large space for the main rescue boat, along with a kitchen, toilet and shower.
An open day was held at the boathouse on Saturday and Mr Messenger said they received positive comments about the new facility.
Sir Tony said he had arrived back in Britain from a trip to Sierra Leone in the early hours of Friday in order to attend the opening that day.
He added: “This is because I regard this opening as important. The new facility will save lives because launch times will be reduced.”
Sir Tony and his wife Lady Anne, in her previous job with Enterprising Communities, have helped the inshore rescue over a number of years.
The boathouse was built with funding from Britain’s Energy Coast along with its nuclear funding bodies, the European Fisheries Fund through its West Cumbria Fisheries Local Action Group and Cumbria Community Foundation.
Any group or organisation that would like to visit the new boathouse should email email@example.com
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Father leads fight to save St Bees School
- Chris to lead artistic way at Cockermouth's Kirkgate Centre
- Seaton allotments owner taking holders to court
- ‘Baby Elliott pulled through and now we want to say thanks’
- Workington’s new pub opens next week
- Salute for British Legion stalwart in branch appeal
- Action group to raise A596 report findings
- West Cumbrian consultant in ‘fat cat’ pay claim media storm
- Takeaway set to cook up a treat in Maryport
- Workington MP hopefuls face public questions (1 comment)