Alex’s dream comes true
Last updated at 11:33, Friday, 04 April 2014
A Cockermouth woman will fulfil a childhood dream when her first novel is published next week.
The book called Tandem, written by Alex Morgan, 50, of Low Road Close, will be published on Tuesday.
Alex, a former journalist who now works as interpretation and communications manager at Cockermouth’s Wordsworth House, started writing the book 16 years ago.
She sent it to about 30 agents, publishers and competitions, but had no luck.
Just as she was about to give up on her dream, she entered Tandem into an international competition run by publisher Hookline and won.
She said: “I burst into tears. I couldn’t believe it. It was a dream come true.
“Ever since I was a little girl I have wanted to be an author.”
Tandem tells the story of Paula, who abandons her London life and runs away to a seaside town in Scotland in the hope of escaping a painful loss, but finds herself involved in the tangled world of Sanders, a persistent 12-year-old boy.
Tandem will be available from the New Bookshop in Cockermouth, the Cockermouth and Keswick National Trust shops and online from Amazon and Waterstones.
Alex has begun writing a second novel but it won’t be a sequel to Tandem.
Alex, who moved to Cumbria in 2006, is married to Trevor and has two daughters, Natalie and Sophie, and granddaughter Chloe.
First published at 11:32, Friday, 04 April 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Support is growing for Workington bypass demand
- ‘Truly glorious’, says RAF veteran as he soars again
- Time capsule message from Harrington pupils
- Excavation sheds more light on life in Roman Maryport
- Commonwealth baton honour for dairy man
- Classrooms put together in just a day
- Leisure centre go-ahead for Workington (26 comments)
- NEW PHOTOS: Sun shone on Sealy Spyatstock
- Day out at Maryport for Iggesund golfers
- Frank built 42-year career with West Cumbrian construction company