Alex’s dream comes true
Last updated at 11:33, Friday, 04 April 2014
A Cockermouth woman will fulfil a childhood dream when her first novel is published next week.
The book called Tandem, written by Alex Morgan, 50, of Low Road Close, will be published on Tuesday.
Alex, a former journalist who now works as interpretation and communications manager at Cockermouth’s Wordsworth House, started writing the book 16 years ago.
She sent it to about 30 agents, publishers and competitions, but had no luck.
Just as she was about to give up on her dream, she entered Tandem into an international competition run by publisher Hookline and won.
She said: “I burst into tears. I couldn’t believe it. It was a dream come true.
“Ever since I was a little girl I have wanted to be an author.”
Tandem tells the story of Paula, who abandons her London life and runs away to a seaside town in Scotland in the hope of escaping a painful loss, but finds herself involved in the tangled world of Sanders, a persistent 12-year-old boy.
Tandem will be available from the New Bookshop in Cockermouth, the Cockermouth and Keswick National Trust shops and online from Amazon and Waterstones.
Alex has begun writing a second novel but it won’t be a sequel to Tandem.
Alex, who moved to Cumbria in 2006, is married to Trevor and has two daughters, Natalie and Sophie, and granddaughter Chloe.
First published at 11:32, Friday, 04 April 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Pupils feel the beat at drumming workshop
- Couple’s aid for Romania passes 2,000 boxes mark
- Actors find Lost Boy in four days
- Tennis match reaches 50 years
- New WI aimed at helping women build friendships
- Proposals to move maternity services to Cockermouth
- Rescue plan for iconic West Cumbrian church
- Hospital woes spark vicar’s letter to PM
- Britain’s Afghan campaign was ‘worthwhile’ says mum
- Bench in memory of Trevor Fee