Alex’s dream comes true
Last updated at 11:33, Friday, 04 April 2014
A Cockermouth woman will fulfil a childhood dream when her first novel is published next week.
The book called Tandem, written by Alex Morgan, 50, of Low Road Close, will be published on Tuesday.
Alex, a former journalist who now works as interpretation and communications manager at Cockermouth’s Wordsworth House, started writing the book 16 years ago.
She sent it to about 30 agents, publishers and competitions, but had no luck.
Just as she was about to give up on her dream, she entered Tandem into an international competition run by publisher Hookline and won.
She said: “I burst into tears. I couldn’t believe it. It was a dream come true.
“Ever since I was a little girl I have wanted to be an author.”
Tandem tells the story of Paula, who abandons her London life and runs away to a seaside town in Scotland in the hope of escaping a painful loss, but finds herself involved in the tangled world of Sanders, a persistent 12-year-old boy.
Tandem will be available from the New Bookshop in Cockermouth, the Cockermouth and Keswick National Trust shops and online from Amazon and Waterstones.
Alex has begun writing a second novel but it won’t be a sequel to Tandem.
Alex, who moved to Cumbria in 2006, is married to Trevor and has two daughters, Natalie and Sophie, and granddaughter Chloe.
First published at 11:32, Friday, 04 April 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Charity bike ride next week
- Kirstie’s cash support for murder mum’s kids
- Mum slims down after fairground ride shame
- Cockermouth Carnival is cancelled
- HAVE YOUR SAY: Plans for Workington Hall in pipeline
- Bargain Hunt crew visits West Cumbria
- Bid to revitalise Workington's 'industrial spine' as Eastman plant closes (6 comments)
- Sarah Millican comes to Keswick
- COMING SOON: Uppies and Downies as it happens
- Workington Uppies all out for revenge for Downies’ double whitewash