Bingo scoops big Budget win
Last updated at 13:41, Friday, 21 March 2014
Punters hope they will win big thanks to a tax cut for bingo clubs.
Chancellor George Osborne revealed that the amount of duty bingo halls have to pay will be halved from 20 per cent to 10 per cent.
His budget announcement comes after the number of bingo halls across the country has fallen by three-quarters over the past three decades.
The Bingo Association says the previous 20 per cent tax rate had led to nearly 2,000 jobs being lost over the last three years.
Graves (Cumberland) Limited, which runs Opera Bingo on Ladies Walk in Workington, welcomed the Government’s decision.
Earlier this year its customers and staff signed a petition to lobby the Government to cut the VAT.
Charlotte Kennedy, marketing manager of Graves, said: “This is fantastic news – we’re delighted.
“Hundreds of our customers signed the petition and I'm sure they’ll be as happy as we are that the Chancellor listened to them, and gave our bingo clubs, and the many others around the country, the boost they need.
“Bingo is a social activity that’s at the heart of hundreds of communities across Britain. For most customers, coming to Opera Bingo is about meeting friends and socialising, as well as playing the game. This is great news for them, because it means their club has a more stable future.”
Sir Tony Cunningham, Workington MP, backed the petition.
He said: “This is great news and I’m glad the Government has listened to the petition. Bingo halls are a great place for the community to get together. My mum Bessie has been a regular player for 30 years.”
James Lowes, 82, of Cockermouth, goes to bingo in Workington four times a week.
He said: “It is the best thing that could have happened. I’ve been coming here for 15 years and I was surprised Mr Osborne did something good for a change. Bingo halls are a social lifeline for us.”
Margaret and George Williams, of Corporation Road, Workington, added: “The reduced duty will help a lot of bingo halls stay open, it’s such a shame so many have had to close. We weren’t very impressed with the rest of the Budget, though.”
First published at 13:15, Friday, 21 March 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Workington Hall safety work begins
- PHOTOS: Troops march into the heart of Maryport
- Wreath mission to war graves of town’s fallen
- Garage beauty salon’s 10 years
- Keswick's former pencil factory to be sold
- Gary the Ferret’s big day out leads to uproar on bus
- Bid to replace vandalised seating
- Judge tells allotment holders to leave in six weeks
- Traders in TV advert push to promote town (2 comments)
- Friends plan party to remember Chloe at 21
- Headteacher probe at Silloth school continuing
- Brampton Methodist - North Cumbria Circuit
- Some useful contact numbers for Brampton
- Brampton Local History Group
- Brampton Fairtrade Town Group
- New homes are what town needs
- Farewell to popular and much-loved Lanes newsagent Helen
- Workington Town flop at home to Batley
- Thieves steal cash from car in Brampton
- Easter Farmers' Market this Saturday