Celebration is a surprise for trust founder Dave
Last updated at 21:13, Thursday, 09 August 2012
Rising Sun Trust founder Dave Smith MBE was the target of a surprise celebration at the organisation’s Workington drop-in centre.
Regulars, staff, family and colleagues from other agencies gathered to say thanks to Dave for all the hard work and dedication that he has provided for the last 13 years.
Staff and regulars at the Rising Sun Trust were saying farewell to Workington as the trust prepares to move to new premises in Copeland.
Lack of funding has forced it to close down the intense support and family support side of the charity to concentrate on drug and alcohol education within the community.
Eric Field, of the Rising Sun Trust, said: “The staff and regulars wanted to show their appreciation to Dave as, over the years, he has provided everyone here with opportunities to progress their lives and supported them in that process.”
Dave added: “I’ll really miss the people at the drop-in centre.
“Over the years they have become like family to me. We have been through some bad times but also some very good times together.
“There are new organisations coming into Cumbria and although they are not replacing us I’m hoping that the services they provide will be of benefit to the community.
“The trust will now concentrate on drug and alcohol prevention and, in the next few weeks, we will be launching our new projects.”
The drop-in facility in Fisher Street, Workington, will continue in partnership with TVC.
First published at 19:19, Thursday, 09 August 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- West Cumbrian rapist sentenced to 12 years in prison
- Firm keeps La’al Ratty on track
- Hotel copule earn top AA award
- Hotel puts its energy into biomass boiler
- Chamber launches West Cumbria business breakfast
- Former lecturer restores rotting Maryport boat
- Vandals take plaques in memory of Great Clifton teen David Foster (7 comments)
- Cat killed in Workington dog attack (1 comment)
- Broughton Moor care home approved despite objections (4 comments)
- Maryport plans tourism drive with Mary Portas cash (1 comment)