Charity ‘channel’ swim for Rebecca
Last updated at 14:31, Friday, 01 August 2014
A Maryport teenager will swim the equivalent distance of the English Channel for charity this month.
Rebecca Kirkbride, 17, of Meadow Way, will do the 33.7km swim in the pool at Netherhall Community Sports Centre, where she works as a lifeguard and does swimming coaching.
She is raising funds for Hospice at Home West Cumbria.
She aims to complete the swim in 14 hours, which means completing 1,873 lengths in an average of two minutes and 15 seconds per length.
Rebecca’s challenge came after she returned from lifeguard duties one day and swam 15km.
She said: “That made me feel I would like a challenge and I decided to raise money at the same time.
“I have chosen the hospice because of the work it does and because so many of my family and friends have been affected by cancer.”
First published at 14:17, Friday, 01 August 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Last clinic for school nurse Ann
- Second award for lifeboat crew doctor
- Graffiti artist Banksy pops into Cockermouth?
- New beat for new mum Laura
- Girls bring alive poems of Rossetti
- Cockermouth's flood defence work is a ‘waste of money’ says leading trader
- West Cumbrian firm in court over the death of worker
- ‘Too rude for TV’ Roy Chubby Brown flies in
- Obituary - John Payton, of Cockermouth
- No change on taxi fares in Allerdale