Claire puts her beauty and brains to the test
Last updated at 13:02, Friday, 01 March 2013
A West Cumbrian woman will swap bulky boots and combat trousers for make-up and glamour as she competes in a national beauty pageant.
Claire Beeby, 26, of Tallentire, near Cockermouth, won through to the top 10 in last year’s Miss Galaxy England and will represent the county again this weekend.
She will be up against 50 other women.
Claire, who works in security, said: “Last year I was placed in the top 10 which was amazing but this year I’m hoping I can do even better.
“I like entering pageants because its something different from what I normally do. Usually I’m in big boots and combat trousers.
“I have always worked in a man’s world. I came straight out of school and became a prison custody officer.”
She will travel to Preston this weekend for the 2013 UK finals of Mrs, Miss and Miss Teen Galaxy.
Last year’s success did not automatically guarantee her a place in the finals but she impressed the organisers with a telephone interview and with the quality of the pictures she submitted.
Claire has spent £875 on a dress from American pageant designer Mac Duggal.
The contestants will be marked on brains as well as beauty, and will receive extra points for personality.
Claire will also compete in Miss Intercontinental later this year and was in the top eight last time around.
She came fourth in Miss Cumbria 2010.
First published at 12:45, Friday, 01 March 2013
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Don't forget to pick up this week's Times & Star!
- You look like that man off the TV!
- Farmer keeps 260ft turbine bid in motion with appeal (3 comments)
- Workington arson victim fears mistaken identity
- June 11 launch for West Cumbria flood defences
- Workington store closing (1 comment)
- Fish factory axes 40 jobs after loss of key contract (1 comment)
- Wedding guest left for dead after Workington hit and run
- Obituary - Richard Wimpress, of Cockermouth
- Herdwick given EU protected status