Dreamscheme's plea for cash
Last updated at 11:47, Friday, 28 December 2012
If a West Cumbrian charity can find £2,000 by Monday, it will unlock £40,000 to pump into youth services across the area.
Maryport Youth Service, which runs Aspatria’s Dreamscheme, was offered a challenge by the 4 Acre Trust, a Hereford-based charity, to raise £20,000. If it did, the trust promised to match the total.
The challenge was issued in September and the Dreamscheme has so far managed to raise £18,000. It is now appealing for help to collect the remaining amount.
Linda Hunter, Dreamscheme manager, said its success was down to local businesses and people.
She added: “We got a £2,000 donation from a man in Cockermouth who does not want to be named. It is so kind.
“I would love to raise the rest to get the maximum from 4 Acres. We have to submit the application by the end of the month.”
Aspatria Town Council gave the project £2,500 and has added the scheme to its 2012-2014 precept and bedmaker Sealy gave £700.
The youth club, which is open five days a week, offers activities and events for its 150-plus members.
It costs £77,888 a year to run and employs two full-time staff and a part-time youth worker.
To donate, send a cheque to Aspatria Dreamscheme, Youth Centre, Market Square, Aspatria, CA73EZ or visit the Dreamscheme website at www.aspatriadreamscheme.com
First published at 11:20, Friday, 28 December 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Father leads fight to save St Bees School
- Chris to lead artistic way at Cockermouth's Kirkgate Centre
- Seaton allotments owner taking holders to court
- ‘Baby Elliott pulled through and now we want to say thanks’
- Workington’s new pub opens next week
- Salute for British Legion stalwart in branch appeal
- Action group to raise A596 report findings
- West Cumbrian consultant in ‘fat cat’ pay claim media storm
- Takeaway set to cook up a treat in Maryport
- Workington MP hopefuls face public questions (1 comment)