Ex Maryport coastguard and his wife celebrate 50 golden years
Last updated at 14:37, Friday, 29 August 2014
With more than 700 bombs in the mix, Bob and Roberta Beck’s marriage could have been an explosive affair.
Instead, the former boss of the Maryport Coastguard team and his wife, known to everyone as Bert, are about to celebrate 50 years as husband and wife.
The High Street couple, both aged 72, met on a dance floor in Blackpool where they were both on holiday, Bob from Maryport and Bert from Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire.
It was a holiday romance that lasted and, after enduring a long distance relationship for a while, Bob eventually moved to Scunthorpe. They were married in Scunthorpe on September 4, 1964.
They returned to Maryport six years later.
Bert worked at the Bata shoe factory and a local food processing plant, cleaned offices, worked in the Carlton Cinema when it became a bingo hall, and worked at the town’s Navy Club.
Bob was an engineer, and later a lorry driver. He also spent nearly 30 years with the Coastguard, which is where the bombs came in.
He recalled: “During my time in the Coastguard we found more than 700 unexploded bombs in what we called Bomb Alley, which was the section of beach between Mawbray and Beckfoot.”
The couple’s secret to a 50-year marriage is simple. Bob said: “We said our vows and meant them. There have been ups and downs but that is part of it.”
The couple will celebrate their anniversary with their three daughters, three granddaughters, family and friends.
They also recently treated themselves to a trip to Canada to visit Bob’s brother.
First published at 13:56, Friday, 29 August 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Awards night held at Workington school
- Netherhall headteacher to step down
- Police appeal for help to trace Aspatria man
- Solar park plan would harm West Cumbria's economy - warning (1 comment)
- Small cars will prove big hit at vintage rally
- Cockermouth NatWest branch closes suddenly
- M-Sport's Ryan is engineering success story
- Air cadets ready for take off thanks to coach firm
- Workington honours forces heroes
- Workington physics trio scoop science cash