Firm’s £2,000 towards Cockermouth teenager's life-changing op
Published at 12:03, Friday, 13 December 2013
A West Cumbrian firm has donated £2,000 to a disabled Cockermouth teenager.
Listers in Workington and the Lakes Home Centre in Cockermouth, which has a Listers store, donated £2,000 to help 13-year-old Megan White travel to the USA to receive pioneering treatment.
Megan suffers from cerebral palsy and spastic diplegia, which means she has poor co-ordination and trouble walking.
Mum Kerrie Iredale, of Bellbrigg Lonning, and her family launched the Megan’s Dream appeal 12 months ago to raise £40,000 to pay for an operation which is only available in Germany, China or the USA. They hit their £40,000 target last month but they will continue fund-raising to help with Megan’s after care.
Paul Reed, manager of Workington’s Listers store, said: “With the connection of having a Listers store in Cockermouth and Megan being from the town there was not a second’s hesitation in agreeing to donate the money.”
Megan is due to travel to St Louis to have an operation next summer.
She will have intense physiotherapy for three weeks before returning to Cumbria for more physiotherapy and will fly to America three months later for a check-up.
Megan said: “I am looking forward to going to America to get things fixed and it would mean an awful lot to me to finally ride a bike.”
Megan’s father Neil White said: “We never thought in 12 months we would have raised the £40,000. We say a big thank you to everyone who has donated.”
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Former aquarium worker’s £118,000 theft charge
- Inspirational Kelly is the pride of Cumbria
- Injured soldier’s royal games joy
- Cockermouth infant school mum eyes top award
- Cathy’s cooking up a storm
- Nature reserve under threat from beck silt
- Police identify dead man found in West Cumbrian park
- Mourners say farewell to Maryport man killed after fall from Eastbourne Pier
- Honour the heroes of our communities
- VIDEO: Young film-maker Lee tackles a tough issue