Flimby show gets trophy boost
Last updated at 16:31, Friday, 22 August 2014
Winners at the Flimby Village Show took home trophies for the first time at the weekend.
In its second year, the event at the village hall is organised by the allotments committee.
It was opened by Maryport mayor and Flimby councillor Carol Tindall.
Alan Saunders, secretary, said that last year there were no trophies but this year some were given out, and next year he suggested there would be more.
He said: “Ms Tindall serves on the liaison committee for the Flimby wind farm group and said we would be getting £500, which will enable us to give trophies in all sections next year.”
The trophy for best overall entry was awarded to hairdresser Evelyn Varty for her floral display.
The trophy was donated by Elizabeth Courty, in memory of her husband John who was a founder member of the village allotments committee and its first treasurer.
Best overall and best flowers: Evelyn Varty. Best vegetables: David Kennedy. Best eggs: Bethany Steel, Matt Varty. Best home produce: Lily Simpson. Best overall children’s section winner: Sophie Devlin, 10.
First published at 16:01, Friday, 22 August 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Boy, 14, taken to hospital after he was hit by car
- Father leads fight to save St Bees School
- Chris to lead artistic way at Cockermouth's Kirkgate Centre
- Seaton allotments owner taking holders to court (4 comments)
- ‘Baby Elliott pulled through and now we want to say thanks’
- Workington’s new pub opens next week (3 comments)
- Salute for British Legion stalwart in branch appeal
- Action group to raise A596 report findings
- West Cumbrian consultant in ‘fat cat’ pay claim media storm (5 comments)
- Takeaway set to cook up a treat in Maryport