Flimby show gets trophy boost
Last updated at 16:31, Friday, 22 August 2014
Winners at the Flimby Village Show took home trophies for the first time at the weekend.
In its second year, the event at the village hall is organised by the allotments committee.
It was opened by Maryport mayor and Flimby councillor Carol Tindall.
Alan Saunders, secretary, said that last year there were no trophies but this year some were given out, and next year he suggested there would be more.
He said: “Ms Tindall serves on the liaison committee for the Flimby wind farm group and said we would be getting £500, which will enable us to give trophies in all sections next year.”
The trophy for best overall entry was awarded to hairdresser Evelyn Varty for her floral display.
The trophy was donated by Elizabeth Courty, in memory of her husband John who was a founder member of the village allotments committee and its first treasurer.
Best overall and best flowers: Evelyn Varty. Best vegetables: David Kennedy. Best eggs: Bethany Steel, Matt Varty. Best home produce: Lily Simpson. Best overall children’s section winner: Sophie Devlin, 10.
First published at 16:01, Friday, 22 August 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Fightback begins as Cockermouth Main Street reopens (8 comments)
- Two killed instantly in car and motorbike tragedy - inquest
- Pram push to highlight concerns over West Cumberland Hospital services
- Cumbrian brothers accused of GBH were ‘watching rugby match’ - court
- Operation fiasco as patient’s notes go missing (1 comment)