Friends bare all (well, nearly all) for a charity calendar
Last updated at 20:01, Thursday, 02 August 2012
A group of friends got their kit off for charity in a Calendar Girls style fund-raiser.
Fifteen women from the Cockermouth and Maryport area produced a calendar to help raise money for Macmillan Nurses and the Henderson Suite of the West Cumberland Hospital.
The photographs were shot last October for the 2012 calendar at the Broughton Craggs Hotel in Great Broughton.
They have now raised £565 for both charities from selling the calendars to friends, family and businesses.
Ella Holdsworth, 58, of Chagford Villas, Maryport, was one of the organisers of the calendar.
She said that all 15 friends knew someone who was suffering from or had died of cancer. The group had lost two friends to cancer and wanted to do something for the Henderson Suite, where one friend was treated, and the Macmillan Nurses who had looked after them.
She said: “We have done it in memory of friends and family.
“The two charities were absolutely gob-smacked with what we have done.”
They sold the calendars to friends and family across the country, and two were even sent to friends in Canada.
Lynne Clucas, 55, of Rose Lane, Cockermouth, said: “We have all been touched one way or another by cancer.
“It was nice to do something for those people.”
Mandy Rumsey, 47, of Tallentire, said: “Everybody is really proud of us.
“People have said, ‘good on you to do something like that’.”
The friends are now working on another fund-raising project, but wouldn’t reveal what it was.
They confirmed that their calendar was a one-off idea.
First published at 19:22, Thursday, 02 August 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- You look like that man off the TV!
- Farmer keeps 260ft turbine bid in motion with appeal (2 comments)
- Workington arson victim fears mistaken identity
- June 11 launch for West Cumbria flood defences
- Workington store closing (1 comment)
- Fish factory axes 40 jobs after loss of key contract (1 comment)
- Wedding guest left for dead after Workington hit and run
- Don't forget to pick up next week's Times & Star!
- Obituary - Richard Wimpress, of Cockermouth
- Herdwick given EU protected status