George has got chills and they’re multiplying
Last updated at 20:42, Thursday, 24 May 2012
Grease is the word they’ll be singing in Maryport next month.
Local film buff and town councillor George Mitchell is organising a Grease sing-along event to raise money for Hospice at Home West Cumbria.
It will be held at the town’s Wave Centre on Friday, June 22.
A sing-along version of the 1978 hit film, which starred John Travolta and Olivis Newton-John, will be shown on a full screen.
There will be a 30 to 40-minute event beforehand organised by Claire Mattinson, an Oughterside performing arts teacher who entertained thousands of children during the recent Titanic exhibition.
Mr Mitchell, 43, of Ennerdale Road, said this would be a fun way to raise money for a worthwhile cause.
He said people were offering their services free including the Wave Centre, Claire and her entertainers, and Paul Williamson from Firpress who has printed the show’s posters.
How Bazaar, the Curzon Street shop which specialises in costumes, is offering Grease-appropriate fancy dress at discounted prices for the event, he said.
The Wave Centre will provide a range of “Grease” cocktails and the kind of food enjoyed by 50s teenagers – hot dogs, hamburgers and fries.
Tickets are on sale now and can be bought from the Wave Centre.
Call 01900 811450.
First published at 19:21, Thursday, 24 May 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Workington pub granted 4.30am licence
- Workington newsagent top Lottery fund-raiser
- Coal mining memorial planned for town centre
- Free surprise as Julie says it with flowers
- Teacher earns trophy by a whisker
- ‘Three-year wait’ for disc parking on Cockermouth street
- Council pair offer £9,000 to end years of misery for bus passengers
- Tony’s now a winner in his life-long battle of the bulge
- Cockermouth Beer Festival goes down a treat
- New lease of life for historic Workington pub