Great Broughton man is odds on in the racecourse kitchen
Last updated at 14:10, Friday, 11 January 2013
Great Broughton man Alistair Coe is an expert at providing courses for those who love horses.
Alistair, 38, of Church Meadows, has been head chef at the busy Carlisle Racecourse for the last five years.
He has been working for Compass Catering and Jockey Club Catering during a period in which the racecourse has gone from strength to strength.
His highlights include catering for guests at a concert by Jools Holland, which resulted in the course’s best ever trading day, as well as meeting celebrity footballers Michael Owen and Alan Shearer.
For big events such as ladies’ day or music events Alistair has to serve up to 550 people in the restaurant and hospitality boxes.
He is also in charge of five public outlets that can serve up to 3,000 people.
He creates the menus six weeks in advance with all the food prepared for final cooking the day before.
Alistair, who has worked as a chef in Singapore and Dubai, saw the job advertised after previously being head chef at the Castle Inn, Bassenthwaite, and a sous chef abroad.
He came back to Cumbria when the Castle Inn was taken over in 2008 by new owners.
He said: “I had worked abroad most of my life and I thought it was the right time to come back to Cumbria.
“After four years at the Castle Inn I wanted to move on and keep myself challenged.”
First published at 13:47, Friday, 11 January 2013
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
It makes you very proud to see a son of Cumbria being succesful within the county of Cumbia.
Make your comment
- Go-ahead for 320-home Cockermouth estate (7 comments)
- Pupils' plea for new lollipop man or woman
- Double retirement at Aspatria's Beacon Hill School
- Pharmacy opening times over Christmas and new year
- Council services during festive period
- Search for family of VC hero ahead of memorial event
- Anger at closure of town register office
- Man airlifted to hospital after major fall in Workington
- Controversial Cockermouth housing estate plans given go ahead by Allerdale council (2 comments)
- West Cumbrian road closed as water main bursts