India challenge in memory of mum
Last updated at 12:21, Friday, 12 October 2012
A Cockermouth shop worker will tackle a 217-mile cycle ride across rural India in memory of her mother who died of ovarian cancer.
Jennifer Twentyman, 43, who works at Strolling4Shoes on Main Street, will take part in the five-day ride from Agra to Jaipur on November 9.
Her mum Christine Marrs, 60, of Church Cottage, Allonby, died in February 2006, six weeks after she was diagnosed with the disease.
Ms Twentyman said: “She was misdiagnosed at first because ovarian cancer is so difficult to detect. She was offered treatment but only given a 30 per cent chance that it would prolong her life.”
Ms Twentyman, of Moss Side, Allonby, hopes to raise £5,000 for cancer initiative Women V Cancer, which supports Breast Cancer Care, Jo’s Cervical Cancer Trust and Ovarian Cancer Action. She has collected £3,300 so far.
She said: “I have chosen to support these charities because they offer emotional and practical help to women who have been diagnosed as well as raising awareness of symptoms so that woman can spot early signs and go to their GP.”
Her bosses, Andrew and Sue Marshall, have made Women V Cancer their chosen cause for 2012. They will make a donation for every pair of shoes or boots sold from Sunday to October 21 in their shops in Cockermouth, Keswick and Penrith.
Ms Twentyman added: “I have been training as much as I can and go out on a bike given to me by my brother Trevor.
“I’ve also been going to spinning and kettlebell classes at Netherhall Gym in Maryport. I know mum would be really proud of me.”
First published at 11:49, Friday, 12 October 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- New Taste Cumbria food fair launched
- Woman, 50, found dead in Maryport
- Solfest is back with a bang! (1 comment)
- An appointment with the doctor in Aspatria
- Call for more cyclists to join Team Townend Challenge
- Beauty beats bullies with dress design
- Lulu named as Maryport Blues Festival headliner (6 comments)
- Polar bear photo in top exhibition
- Design a Cockermouth cake
- UK first for West Cumbrian factory in prostate cancer fight (2 comments)