Is this couple one of the longest married in West Cumbria?
Last updated at 11:45, Friday, 28 December 2012
Meet Betty and Stan Kane, possibly one of the longest-married couples in West Cumbria.
The childhood sweethearts celebrated their 71st wedding anniversary on Christmas Eve.
Betty, 90, and Stan, 92, who now live at Stilecroft Residential Home in Stainburn, Workington, were married at St John’s Church, Workington, in 1941.
The couple married while Stan was home on four days leave from the Navy.
They met on Vulcan’s Lane, outside the Emmanuel Church, when Betty was 14 and Stan was 16.
Married five years later, the couple enjoyed a fleeting honeymoon, taking the train to Carlisle for the afternoon after their ceremony.
Betty said: “We got married on Christmas Eve as Stan was home for only a short space of time.
“We have had a very happy life together and have enjoyed holidays and fun times, but having our daughter was the best moment for us.
“It can’t be said that we’ve never argued, in fact a good row can clear the air, but the secret to a happy marriage is knowing how to say sorry.”
- Can you or someone you know beat 71 years of marriage? Let us know! Email here or call 01900 607631
First published at 11:21, Friday, 28 December 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Fallen tree closes main West Cumbria road
- Council facing inquiry into collusion claim
- Heartbreaking wait for life-saving donor (1 comment)
- Low-cost meals will help tackle poverty (1 comment)
- Charity night for hotel man's first quarter of a century
- Arctic war veteran finally gets medal
- Award for dedicated service to school
- Lee directs hard-hitting message on road safety
- Smartphone app helps lost walker
- Main Cockermouth roads reopen after woman knocked over