Is this couple one of the longest married in West Cumbria?
Last updated at 11:45, Friday, 28 December 2012
Meet Betty and Stan Kane, possibly one of the longest-married couples in West Cumbria.
The childhood sweethearts celebrated their 71st wedding anniversary on Christmas Eve.
Betty, 90, and Stan, 92, who now live at Stilecroft Residential Home in Stainburn, Workington, were married at St John’s Church, Workington, in 1941.
The couple married while Stan was home on four days leave from the Navy.
They met on Vulcan’s Lane, outside the Emmanuel Church, when Betty was 14 and Stan was 16.
Married five years later, the couple enjoyed a fleeting honeymoon, taking the train to Carlisle for the afternoon after their ceremony.
Betty said: “We got married on Christmas Eve as Stan was home for only a short space of time.
“We have had a very happy life together and have enjoyed holidays and fun times, but having our daughter was the best moment for us.
“It can’t be said that we’ve never argued, in fact a good row can clear the air, but the secret to a happy marriage is knowing how to say sorry.”
- Can you or someone you know beat 71 years of marriage? Let us know! Email here or call 01900 607631
First published at 11:21, Friday, 28 December 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Nine jobs created as Workington store extends
- Teachers chalk off the pounds
- Georgian Fair is off due to road revamp
- Mandela tribute at rugby get-together
- Well look what I found in my living room
- Santa needs you back home!
- Firm’s £2,000 towards Cockermouth teenager's life-changing op
- Workington pub granted 4.30am licence
- Workington newsagent top Lottery fund-raiser
- Coal mining memorial planned for town centre