Man dies in West Cumbria after car crash
Published at 10:27, Monday, 26 March 2012
A 20-year-old man has died from head injuries after he was hit by a car in Allonby.
The accident happened at 7.46pm on the B5300 – the main road through the village – last night.
It involved a Suzuki Swift driven by a 20-year-old man from Allonby and a pedestrian, also 20, and also from Allonby.
A police spokesman said the pedestrian had suffered head injuries which later proved fatal.
He died in hospital shortly afterwards.
Police have interviewed a 20-year-old man and are making further inquiries.
Nobody has been arrested in connection with the accident.
A force spokesman said ambulance crews took the pedestrian to West Cumberland Hospital in Whitehaven.
An Allonby woman, who did not wish to be identified, said that the community was “devastated”.
The road was closed in both directions between the Wigton Road junction and the Moss Lane junction while emergency services attended the scene and reopened at 11.55pm.
Police are appealing to any witnesses or anybody with information to contact PC John Powell in the roads policing unit at Workington on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- 2009 floods: Neighbours pitched in to help each other (1 comment)
- 2009 floods: ‘We can never thank the rescue services enough’
- Leading names back M-Sport centre plan
- Prolific author Mary Burkett dies, aged 90
- Parents to help shape Workington's new academy
- West Cumbrian register office to close next month (2 comments)
- Will Noel have a deal for Workington's Kelly?
- Strictly dancer has words of advice for West Cumbrian teachers
- ‘Noisy’ Workington cadets face soundproofing bill (10 comments)
- Fury as West Cumbria war memorial vandals strike again