Man dies in West Cumbria after car crash
Published at 10:27, Monday, 26 March 2012
A 20-year-old man has died from head injuries after he was hit by a car in Allonby.
The accident happened at 7.46pm on the B5300 – the main road through the village – last night.
It involved a Suzuki Swift driven by a 20-year-old man from Allonby and a pedestrian, also 20, and also from Allonby.
A police spokesman said the pedestrian had suffered head injuries which later proved fatal.
He died in hospital shortly afterwards.
Police have interviewed a 20-year-old man and are making further inquiries.
Nobody has been arrested in connection with the accident.
A force spokesman said ambulance crews took the pedestrian to West Cumberland Hospital in Whitehaven.
An Allonby woman, who did not wish to be identified, said that the community was “devastated”.
The road was closed in both directions between the Wigton Road junction and the Moss Lane junction while emergency services attended the scene and reopened at 11.55pm.
Police are appealing to any witnesses or anybody with information to contact PC John Powell in the roads policing unit at Workington on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Workington's Emily is still smiling
- 100 jobs masterplan revealed by M-Sport
- Mutiny on Cockermouth's Main Street (2 comments)
- Workington road will close for resurfacing (1 comment)
- Gilcrux pub to reopen after flood
- Workington care home admissions suspended
- Piglet boom at West Cumbria animal park
- Pulling in beer lovers in Workington
- Council is selling Workington's Old Rectory
- Woman found dead in Workington toilet named