Maryport teen Rebecca to join cancer drug trial
Last updated at 15:37, Friday, 13 September 2013
A brave Maryport teenager is about to embark on a drug trial that might help others in the future.
Rebecca Marnock, 15, of Furnace Lane, headed to London’s Great Ormond Street Hospital this week to take part in trials on a new cancer drug.
Rebecca was diagnosed with a malignant tumour two years ago and has no guarantees that the new drug will improve her condition.
But she is prepared to undergo the treatment, whether it helps her or not, as it could help specialists in the future.
Maryport townsfolk have helped her to make some of her wishes come true – including meeting her favourite boy band, JLS.
This week, the teenager was given £900 from two events at Maryport’s Netherhall Sports Centre.
Rebecca is a student at Netherhall School and staff at the sports centre decided to raise money through a bike ride.
A second fund-raiser took place a couple of weeks ago when Ellenborough Athletic Club resurrected the old Netherhall cross country route for a Wednesday evening race, which 82 people entered.
Brian Taylor, centre manager, said: “The entry fee was £4 each but when people found out who the money was for, they reached into their pockets and gave much more than that.”
Town men Garry and Greg Mounsey, Stephen Hughes, John Morgan and Matty Todd are doing the C2C bike ride next Saturday and half the cash they raise will go to Rebecca.
First published at 15:30, Friday, 13 September 2013
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Man, 36, arrested after serious sexual assault in West Cumbria
- Papcastle mum sets up charity in her front room
- Workington councillor to step down
- Lantern parade to boost West Cumbria town after roadworks
- West Cumbrian school feels a chill for a good cause
- Rocker Dez thinks big to promote his rock night
- A new start for apprentices
- Testing smells at West Cumbria factory (4 comments)
- Fury over possible sale of war memorial land (2 comments)
- Talks continue over Workington slag banks crucifix (13 comments)