New Roman dig starts in Maryport
Last updated at 16:55, Friday, 11 April 2014
The second excavation of a Maryport Roman site has begun.
Only hours into the first day of the dig, next to the town’s Roman fort, one of the youngest site volunteers, Maisie Reed, nine, discovered part of a Roman bangle.
John Zant, of Oxford Archaeology, said that while not rare, the bangle was uncommon and a great find for day one.
Archaeologists want to find out more about a building discovered last year which appeared to have been a shop and living accommodation.
The dig will go into the back yard of this and the remains of other properties.
Mr Zant said it was hoped to dig below an existing layer of excavation to establish how long there had been a settlement on the site which could support evidence that there was a second fort in Maryport earlier than the one built around AD 120.
Guided tours around the site will be held on weekdays from the Senhouse Roman Museum at 2pm and 3.30pm.
There will also be open days between 1pm and 5pm on Easter Saturday, April 19, and on May 5 and May 24.
First published at 15:39, Friday, 11 April 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Cockermouth woman Gloria Edwards writes book of wartime memories
- Workington Hall safety work begins
- PHOTOS: Troops march into the heart of Maryport
- Wreath mission to war graves of town’s fallen
- Garage beauty salon’s 10 years
- Keswick's former pencil factory to be sold (1 comment)
- Gary the Ferret’s big day out leads to uproar on bus
- Bid to replace vandalised seating
- Judge tells allotment holders to leave in six weeks
- Traders in TV advert push to promote town (6 comments)