Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Tuesday, 30 June 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

No charges over pedestrian’s road death

A woman has been released without charge after being arrested over the death of a pedestrian in Workington.

STRUCK BY A CAR: James Henry Smith, of Hyde Street, Workington, died in January, aged 54

James Henry Smith, 54, of Hyde Street, was struck by a car on January 15 near the town hall in Oxford Street.

He died at the West Cumberland Hospital, Whitehaven, the next day.

A 50-year-old Workington woman, who was driving a Honda CR-V, was arrested at the scene on suspicion of driving without due care and attention.

She was released on bail and last week, almost nine months after the incident, police closed the investigation and released her.

A police spokesman said: “A decision has been made to take no further action based on the facts of the collision and evidence available.”

Mr Smith, known as Jim, had been on his way home from Jackson’s Timber Yard, Whitehaven, where he worked as a joiner.

His daughter Alisha, 23, of Hillcrest, Northside, Workington, said: “At the start I was obviously upset by the whole situation. As time went on I realised the driver was a human being, she didn’t go out to kill someone.

“Apparently she is a nice lady and is suffering for what she has done. I can’t imagine what she is going through.

“It couldn’t have been helped. It could have happened to anyone.”

Alisha recalled that she had been on her way to Mr Smith’s house and took a detour from Oxford Street because of all the police cars.

The lights were off when she reached his house, and then police called.

She says: “My whole world changed when he died because he was my world. We were extremely close.”

She sat with her father at his hospital bedside and said: “I was told by doctors that if he made a recovery he wouldn’t be the same man.

“It was horrific for me and my sister Sharon.”

Mr Smith’s death came just over a year after his wife Norma died of heart disease and a tumour in October 2011.

An inquest into Mr Smith’s death will be held on October 24.


Hot jobs
Search for:


Should a new nuclear reactor be built at Moorside, near Sellafield, by NuGen?



Show Result