Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Thursday, 02 July 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Results of inquiry into Maryport's Aquila fishing tragedy published

Coastguard training should be reviewed and air rescues coordinated centrally following a tragedy in which three Maryport fishermen died, a sheriff has said.

Sheriff Paul Crozier, who conduct a fatal accident inquiry into the deaths of Aquila skipper Tony Hayton and crewmen Peter Hilton and Martin Sanderson, said in determinations published this week that it was not possible to conclude that the men's lives would have been saved had help arrived sooner.

However, he has recommended a review of training for coastguard personnel and that air rescues be co-ordinated by the Aeronautical Rescue Co-ordination Centre at Kinloss and not individual coastguard stations.

Mr Hayton, 45, and 52-year-olds Mr Hilton and Mr Sanderson died after the scallop dredger capsized near Kilmory in Ardnamurchan in July 2009.

Tim Rowley, 33, was the only survivor.

An inquiry into their deaths heard there was a 23-minute delay in getting a rescue helicopter to the scene because of confusion over the location.

The Aquila's gear snagged on the seabed and the boat capsized so quickly that skipper Mr Hayton did not have time to raise the alarm.

A member of the public who saw the incident from a nearby road alerted the emergency services.

The inquiry, last year, heard the 999 call was put through to Clyde Coastguard Station.

The station's watch manager believed Kilmory was one of two places with that name in Argyll.

A Royal Navy helicopter at Prestwick in Ayrshire was scrambled then stood down when the coastguard officer established it was Kilmory in Ardnamurchan, which is covered by Stornoway coastguard in the Western Isles.

However, Stornoway coastguard did not scramble its helicopter immediately because the station had not been told the Navy crew had been stood down.

In his determination, Sheriff Crozier said the Royal Navy crew should have been left to head to the scene.

He added that there was nothing the skipper or his crew, all experienced seamen, could have done to avoid the accident.

He said: "Not withstanding all of the issues raised by me as a result of this inquiry it is not possible to conclude on the basis of the evidence led that even if the initial tasking of R177 helicopter had not been cancelled and that all of the other matters raised had been dealt with correctly, that the lives of Mr Sanderson, Mr Hayton and Mr Hilton could have been saved.

"Fishermen risk their lives on a daily basis to put food on our plates. Their job is an extremely dangerous one and I am full of admiration for the way in which they conduct themselves in carrying out their work.

"This tragic event led to the loss of three fishermen's lives.

"There was a survivor, Timothy Rowley, and it would be remiss of me not to commend him for the actions that he took on the 20 July 2009 and the way in which he relived that day in giving evidence to this inquiry."

Sheriff Crozier praised members of the public who played parts in raising the alarm and rescuing Mr Rowley.


Hot jobs
Search for:


Should a new nuclear reactor be built at Moorside, near Sellafield, by NuGen?



Show Result