Reverend Wendy ready to retire after 11 years
Last updated at 13:19, Friday, 31 January 2014
Cockermouth vicar the Rev Wendy Sanders is to retire in May after 11 years as area team rector.
Mrs Sanders, 64, of Lorton Road, moved to Cockermouth from Wiltshire in 2003 to take up the position which covers All Saints, Christ Church, St Cuthbert’s in Embleton, St Margaret’s at Wythop and St Bridget’s in Bridekirk.
She will take a three-month sabbatical and then return to stay on as area dean.
Mrs Sanders, who was ordained in 1990, said: “I shall be sad to leave but I recognise the time has come to retire.
“I still wanted to be involved with the clergy which is why I will remain as area dean.”
Mrs Sanders said her most abiding memory was the response to the 2009 floods. The town’s churches pulled together to help out those in need by providing meals and a meeting place.
She said it was a privilege to help out and the memories will stay with her forever.
She was also pleased to see the development of services and activities for young people.
Mrs Sanders became first woman president of Cockermouth Rotary Club in 2011.
She wants to explore her passion for music in retirement. She plays the trombone and clarinet and is a member of Cockermouth Mechanics Band, along with husband Paul, the Castlegate Singers and hopes to join the Papcastle Orchestra.
She hopes to spend more time with daughters Vickie and Melanie, who live in Penrith, and her two granddaughters.
First published at 13:12, Friday, 31 January 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- VIDEO: Young film-maker Lee tackles a tough issue
- Man, 36, arrested after serious sexual assault in West Cumbria
- Papcastle mum sets up charity in her front room
- Workington councillor to step down
- Lantern parade to boost West Cumbria town after roadworks
- West Cumbrian school feels a chill for a good cause
- Rocker Dez thinks big to promote his rock night
- A new start for apprentices
- Testing smells at West Cumbria factory (4 comments)
- Fury over possible sale of war memorial land (4 comments)