VIDEO: John bucks web craze by giving £50 to stranger
Last updated at 14:01, Friday, 07 February 2014
A Workington man walked up to a complete stranger and handed him £50 – to set his young daughters a good example.
John Birkett, 31, was nominated for the internet craze “neknomination” where people down a pint in a wacky way and film it for social media.
But he decided to turn the idea on its head and do an act of kindness instead.
John, who works for Flimby building firm Thomas Armstrong, did drink a pint before entering the town’s Tesco store, but he then approached stunned shopper Derek Coyle, 62, and handed him the money.
He said he didn’t want to do anything stupid as part of the stunt because he had a young family – Hollie, 10, and Millie, five – to look after.
He decided to give away the money to show his daughters that kindness still exists.
Hollie, a pupil at Harrington’s Beckstone Primary School, filmed the handover.
It took Derek a few minutes to accept the gift after thinking it was a prank.
Derek, of Napier Street, Workington, said: “I just couldn’t believe a stranger would come up and give me £50. It was all a bit surreal.
“At first I thought John was from a charity, and when he said I’d end up on the internet I didn’t want it.
“It was also very kind, and I am thankful to John for choosing to buck the trend and do something nice.”
John said: “It felt really nice to do something for someone I’ve never met.
“I’m not a millionaire. Some weeks I am skint, and others I have a bit of money.
“This week I had a little bit spare and thought it would be nice to give it away.”
First published at 13:34, Friday, 07 February 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Workington Hall safety work begins
- PHOTOS: Troops march into the heart of Maryport
- Wreath mission to war graves of town’s fallen
- Garage beauty salon’s 10 years
- Keswick's former pencil factory to be sold
- Gary the Ferret’s big day out leads to uproar on bus
- Bid to replace vandalised seating
- Judge tells allotment holders to leave in six weeks
- Traders in TV advert push to promote town (2 comments)
- Friends plan party to remember Chloe at 21