Storms bring extra drama to Maryport panto
Last updated at 19:52, Friday, 03 January 2014
There was as much drama off stage as on it for Maryport’s annual pantomime production last week.
Problems started just before The Wizard of Oz was due to start its two-day run at The Wave Centre last Friday afternoon.
Staff spotted that the wind was tearing the underside of the roof at the back of the building.
Brian Entwistle, technical manager, said: “We were really concerned that material would fly into the road or hit someone walking in the area.”
Police were called and agreed that the pantomime could go ahead as long as the area around the damaged roof was cordoned off.
Midway through the pantomime, however, there was a power failure which plunged the theatre into darkness.
Producer George Critchley said: “We couldn’t make any PA announcements because there was no sound equipment but we went out into the audience and asked them to remain calm and seated.
“There was a huge cheer when the show started again.”
It was the third power failure of the day to be caused by high winds.
Mr Entwistle added: “Our sound and lighting system is all computerised so that had to be rebooted before we could continue the show.
“Our booking system also went down and staff were left handwriting tickets for the 4.30pm show.
“We were also unable to take bookings for Saturday’s performances.”
He said that the show had been well supported and he thanked audiences for their tolerance.
First published at 19:18, Friday, 03 January 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- West Cumbria housing estate scheme gets green light
- Maryport take-away plans approved
- Controversial Workington cross can stay (4 comments)
- Workington man wins fight to keep 9ft-high crucifix (10 comments)
- New Taste Cumbria food fair launched
- Woman, 50, found dead in Maryport
- An appointment with the doctor in Aspatria
- Call for more cyclists to join Team Townend Challenge
- Beauty beats bullies with dress design
- Lulu named as Maryport Blues Festival headliner (7 comments)