Top fund-raiser Julie wins regional award
Published at 19:20, Thursday, 21 June 2012
A COCKERMOUTH woman has made it to the final of a national awards ceremony.
Julie Skidmore, of St Helens Street, is a volunteer for the National Childbirth Trust and has been the fund-raising co-ordinator at the West Cumbria branch for the past 10 years.
She has raised around £35,000 by running four nearly-new sales each year.
Three of these raise money for the NCT to support local services and the charity nationally while the other supports Kirkgate Pre-school in Cockermouth.
This year the West Cumbria branch was in the top 10 for its sales.
Juile won the award for Fund-raising Success of the Year for the north west branches at the NCT Stars Award regional ceremony on Sunday.
She now goes through to the national NCT Stars Awards along with winners from other UK regions in London on October 31.
Julie said: “I am really touched that other NCT members have taken the time to nominate me for this award as it has taken many hours over the past 10 years to run the sales.
“It is helping to recycle so many great items time after time and lots of local people are saving money at the same time while both charities benefit.
“The sale would not run without the people who help out on the day so it is a great team effort.”
The next nearly-new sale will take place tomorrow, 9.30am-11am at Lorton Street Methodist Church, in aid of the NCT, with another sale at the same venue in aid of Kirkgate Pre-school on September 29.
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- A595 roadworks completed
- West Cumbrian rapist sentenced to 12 years in prison
- Firm keeps La’al Ratty on track
- Hotel copule earn top AA award
- Hotel puts its energy into biomass boiler
- Chamber launches West Cumbria business breakfast
- Former lecturer restores rotting Maryport boat
- Vandals take plaques in memory of Great Clifton teen David Foster (10 comments)
- Broughton Moor care home approved despite objections (4 comments)
- Maryport plans tourism drive with Mary Portas cash (1 comment)