Tributes paid after ‘lovely’ Michael, 52, found dead
Last updated at 12:35, Friday, 15 March 2013
Friends and neighbours have paid tribute to a well-liked man found dead in Workington.
Michael Ainsworth, 52, was discovered by a member of the public on Tuesday at Shore Road, Salterbeck.
He has been described as a cheerful person who did odd jobs for his neighbours in Sarsfield Road.
Mr Ainsworth also worked as a contractor for Westfield Housing.
In his spare time he enjoyed tinkering with motorbikes and push bikes.
Geoff Williamson, 56, who lived next door, said: “He kept himself to himself but he always used to speak. He got on great with his nephews and nieces and is part of a close family.
“I got on well with him and he had a lot of friends.
“He worked at Chapel Bank but wasn’t there long. I have known the family for many years.
“It was a big shock. I saw him on Tuesday morning.”
It is understood that Mr Ainsworth lived with his elderly parents and a sister.
Neighbour Margaret Gregory, 80, said: “He was a lovely lad who never bothered anyone.”
Husband Cyril, 83, added: “He was brought up further down, on Goodman Road, and when they modernised the houses he came up here.
“He was a nice lad and had a little black dog.”
Lynda Coid, operations manager for Westfield Housing Association, said: “Michael was for some time a valued contractor for the association.
“We have known Michael and his family for many years and they are a lovely family and very well respected in this area.
“Our thoughts are with them at this very sad and difficult time.”
Paramedics attended but Mr Ainsworth was pronounced dead at the scene.
His family have been informed and police are not treating his death as suspicious. Enquiries are ongoing.
First published at 12:12, Friday, 15 March 2013
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Go-ahead for 320-home Cockermouth estate (7 comments)
- Pupils' plea for new lollipop man or woman
- Double retirement at Aspatria's Beacon Hill School
- Pharmacy opening times over Christmas and new year
- Council services during festive period
- Search for family of VC hero ahead of memorial event
- Anger at closure of town register office
- Man airlifted to hospital after major fall in Workington
- Controversial Cockermouth housing estate plans given go ahead by Allerdale council (2 comments)
- West Cumbrian road closed as water main bursts