Tributes paid to town baker feared dead
Last updated at 11:34, Friday, 04 April 2014
Tributes have been paid to a popular Cockermouth man who is believed to have been hit and killed by a train.
Andrew Mayall, 47, was reported missing last Wednesday and was last seen on Cockermouth’s Main Street.
Then at just before 9.15am the next day, British Transport Police were alerted to reports that a person had been hit at Penrith Railway Station.
Police said that Mr Mayall’s family were being supported by officers.
A British Transport Police spokesman said that while they believed the man who was killed was Mr Mayall, he would only be formally identified at an inquest.
Mr Mayall worked as a baker at The Coffee Kitchen in Challoner Street, Cockermouth.
He had been there since September 2011 when the cafe first opened.
Its owner Andy Walsh said: “He was our first employee at The Coffee Kitchen.
“He was a completely self-taught baker. He just took to baking like he had been at it all his life.
“He was a very popular member of the staff and was really well liked by his work colleagues.
“We are extremely sad to not have him with us any more. We miss him around the place.
“I couldn’t have asked for a better employee and friend. In a small business you are not work colleagues, you are all friends. He will be sadly missed.”
Mr Mayall was born in Oldham, Lancashire, but left there when he was 19 to go to college. He moved to Cumbria in 1992.
His previous jobs included a screen printer, cinema manager, working in a call centre and running Cockermouth Youth Hostel.
First published at 11:30, Friday, 04 April 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- West Cumbria housing estate scheme gets green light
- Maryport take-away plans approved
- Controversial Workington cross can stay
- Workington man wins fight to keep 9ft-high crucifix (6 comments)
- New Taste Cumbria food fair launched
- Woman, 50, found dead in Maryport
- An appointment with the doctor in Aspatria
- Call for more cyclists to join Team Townend Challenge
- Beauty beats bullies with dress design
- Lulu named as Maryport Blues Festival headliner (7 comments)