Two friends with three mountains to conquer
Last updated at 14:35, Friday, 15 August 2014
Two best friends will tackle a three peaks challenge this weekend to raise £500 for charity.
Elanor Watts, of Little Clifton, near Workington, and Laura Turska, of Ennerdale, both 21, will brave more than peaks for Arthritis Research UK and have so far raised £262.
Laura, a student at the University of Manchester, was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis earlier this year.
She said: “I have been climbing hills since I was a little girl and it seemed a good idea to use that for a good cause.
“It made sense to put my mobility to the test to help arthritis sufferers.”
They were due to start their challenge today on Helvellyn. They will then tackle Scafell Pike, England’s highest mountain at 3,210ft, tomorrow before finishing with a trek up Skiddaw on Sunday.
The duo will hike more than 18,000ft over the weekend.
To donate, visit www.justgiving.com/3PeaksToBeatRA or text ARTH54 and £5, £10 or £20 to 70070.
First published at 14:16, Friday, 15 August 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Workington Hall safety work begins
- PHOTOS: Troops march into the heart of Maryport
- Wreath mission to war graves of town’s fallen
- Garage beauty salon’s 10 years
- Keswick's former pencil factory to be sold
- Gary the Ferret’s big day out leads to uproar on bus
- Bid to replace vandalised seating
- Judge tells allotment holders to leave in six weeks
- Traders in TV advert push to promote town (2 comments)
- Friends plan party to remember Chloe at 21