West Cumbria cinema tales wanted
Last updated at 19:53, Thursday, 02 August 2012
A Maryport film buff and film maker wants to make a documentary about West Cumbria’s old cinemas.
George Mitchell, 43, of Ennerdale Road, is asking people who have any old films or, better still, any 8 mm or standard 8 mm film, to get in touch with him.
Mr Mitchell, a Maryport town councillor, said the excitement and glamour of the old cinemas bore little resemblance to modern cinema complexes.
As well as obtaining photographs he wants to hear from anyone who has a story to tell.
He said: “If you were an usherette, sold ice creams or worked elsewhere in the cinema, or went to watch movies every week, I would love to hear from you.”
Mr Mitchell said he had been given unlimited access to the Gaiety Theatre in Whitehaven and he was looking forward to learning more about the other old cinemas.
Anyone who can help can contact Mr Mitchell by phone at 01900 819343 or by email to email@example.com
First published at 19:22, Thursday, 02 August 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- You look like that man off the TV!
- Farmer keeps 260ft turbine bid in motion with appeal (1 comment)
- Workington arson victim fears mistaken identity
- June 11 launch for West Cumbria flood defences
- Workington store closing
- Fish factory axes 40 jobs after loss of key contract
- Wedding guest left for dead after Workington hit and run
- Don't forget to pick up next week's Times & Star!
- Obituary - Richard Wimpress, of Cockermouth
- Herdwick given EU protected status