Workington floods hero on TV’s Surprise Surprise
Last updated at 12:42, Friday, 26 October 2012
Workington man Brendan Pickering, who stopped traffic using Northside Bridge as it started to crumble in the 2009 floods, is to appear on ITV1 show Surprise Surprise.
In the week that the new Northside Bridge was opened, it was revealed that Mr Pickering had been nominated by friend Jimmy Dixon to appear on the show because of his bravery.
He had set out from his Burrow Walls home to walk his dogs at 5am on November 20, 2009 when he saw that part of the bridge had collapsed.
He directed people and traffic away from the bridge and called police.
A short time later the bridge collapsed, killing PC Bill Barker.
Mr Pickering will be on the show, presented by Holly Willoughby, on November 11.
ITV has not revealed any further details about his appearance.
First published at 11:49, Friday, 26 October 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
HE WILL HAVE TO WEAR HIS GUM SHIELD TOO STOP SWEARING.
TOP BLOKE WELL DONE BRENDAN
Make your comment
- Fallen tree closes main West Cumbria road
- Council facing inquiry into collusion claim
- Heartbreaking wait for life-saving donor (1 comment)
- Low-cost meals will help tackle poverty (1 comment)
- Charity night for hotel man's first quarter of a century
- Arctic war veteran finally gets medal
- Award for dedicated service to school
- Lee directs hard-hitting message on road safety
- Smartphone app helps lost walker
- Main Cockermouth roads reopen after woman knocked over