Workington floods hero on TV’s Surprise Surprise
Last updated at 12:42, Friday, 26 October 2012
Workington man Brendan Pickering, who stopped traffic using Northside Bridge as it started to crumble in the 2009 floods, is to appear on ITV1 show Surprise Surprise.
In the week that the new Northside Bridge was opened, it was revealed that Mr Pickering had been nominated by friend Jimmy Dixon to appear on the show because of his bravery.
He had set out from his Burrow Walls home to walk his dogs at 5am on November 20, 2009 when he saw that part of the bridge had collapsed.
He directed people and traffic away from the bridge and called police.
A short time later the bridge collapsed, killing PC Bill Barker.
Mr Pickering will be on the show, presented by Holly Willoughby, on November 11.
ITV has not revealed any further details about his appearance.
First published at 11:49, Friday, 26 October 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
HE WILL HAVE TO WEAR HIS GUM SHIELD TOO STOP SWEARING.
TOP BLOKE WELL DONE BRENDAN
Make your comment
- Workington Hall safety work begins
- PHOTOS: Troops march into the heart of Maryport
- Wreath mission to war graves of town’s fallen
- Garage beauty salon’s 10 years
- Keswick's former pencil factory to be sold
- Gary the Ferret’s big day out leads to uproar on bus
- Bid to replace vandalised seating
- Judge tells allotment holders to leave in six weeks
- Traders in TV advert push to promote town (1 comment)
- Friends plan party to remember Chloe at 21