Workington floods hero on TV’s Surprise Surprise
Last updated at 12:42, Friday, 26 October 2012
Workington man Brendan Pickering, who stopped traffic using Northside Bridge as it started to crumble in the 2009 floods, is to appear on ITV1 show Surprise Surprise.
In the week that the new Northside Bridge was opened, it was revealed that Mr Pickering had been nominated by friend Jimmy Dixon to appear on the show because of his bravery.
He had set out from his Burrow Walls home to walk his dogs at 5am on November 20, 2009 when he saw that part of the bridge had collapsed.
He directed people and traffic away from the bridge and called police.
A short time later the bridge collapsed, killing PC Bill Barker.
Mr Pickering will be on the show, presented by Holly Willoughby, on November 11.
ITV has not revealed any further details about his appearance.
First published at 11:49, Friday, 26 October 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
HE WILL HAVE TO WEAR HIS GUM SHIELD TOO STOP SWEARING.
TOP BLOKE WELL DONE BRENDAN
Make your comment
- Leisure centre go-ahead for Workington (4 comments)
- NEW PHOTOS: Sun shone on Sealy Spyatstock
- Day out at Maryport for Iggesund golfers
- Frank built 42-year career with West Cumbrian construction company
- Workington care home put residents’ safety ‘at risk’
- West Cumbria woman Harriet turns 100
- Performing arts hub planned for Workington
- Workington boy scores top marks for school attendance
- Council couple lead Maryport parking charge fight
- Help former Workington Reds kit man net charity cash