£17,500 served up for Taste Cumbria food festival
Last updated at 13:38, Friday, 21 March 2014
Cockermouth's Taste Cumbria food festival has been given a £17,500 boost by Allerdale council.
There were fears that the collapse of West Cumbria Tourism would mean there would be a shortfall in cash to support the annual two-day event in September.
Last year the festival attracted 20,000 people to Cockermouth and generated around £1.9 million for the local economy.
Alan Smith, leader of Allerdale council, said: “We were already considering committing £5,000 to the event, the same as last year, but when we heard there could be a potential funding shortfall we knew we had to act.
“It’s inconceivable that Taste Cumbria wouldn’t happen, or that it would move somewhere else in the county.
“We know there are other local authorities who would welcome it to their towns in a flash because the benefits of hosting the event are immense.”
Britain’s Energy Coast announced it was pulling its £245,000 grant from West Cumbria Tourism next month as the promotion of tourism was no longer considered its priority.
It said it would continue to provide individual tourism businesses with support.
Plans are now being made for the 2014 Taste Cumbria festival on September 27 and 28.
First published at 13:18, Friday, 21 March 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Former aquarium worker’s £118,000 theft charge
- Inspirational Kelly is the pride of Cumbria
- Injured soldier’s royal games joy
- Cockermouth infant school mum eyes top award
- Cathy’s cooking up a storm
- Nature reserve under threat from beck silt
- Police identify dead man found in West Cumbrian park
- Mourners say farewell to Maryport man killed after fall from Eastbourne Pier
- Honour the heroes of our communities
- VIDEO: Young film-maker Lee tackles a tough issue