30 people already eye Strawberry How homes
Last updated at 13:41, Friday, 25 October 2013
A third of homes earmarked for the first phase of Cockermouth’s proposed Strawberry How estate could be sold now, its developer said this week.
Story Homes wants to build up to 350 homes over 10 years on the land.
The Carlisle company has yet to lodge a planning application and said it probably would not do so until at least the end of the year.
It would build 90 homes in the first phase and said that 30 people had already asked if they could buy.
The plan has attracted widespread opposition from objectors who fear that Cockermouth’s infrastructure would not cope.
Signet Planning, Story Homes’s consultant, has held meetings with townsfolk to gauge reaction.
Sandra Manson, director, said a formal plan would not be submitted until December at the earliest because there was so much detail to work out.
Despite the controversy, Mrs Manson said there had been considerable interest. She said couples and families from the town and elsewhere had been in touch.
After the first 90 properties are completed, Story Homes would aim to build about 30 homes a year around the Tom Rudd Beck area. The remaining properties would take around seven years.
l Interest in new housing estates – Page 12
First published at 13:36, Friday, 25 October 2013
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Workington pub granted 4.30am licence
- Workington newsagent top Lottery fund-raiser
- Coal mining memorial planned for town centre
- Free surprise as Julie says it with flowers
- Teacher earns trophy by a whisker
- ‘Three-year wait’ for disc parking on Cockermouth street
- Council pair offer £9,000 to end years of misery for bus passengers
- Tony’s now a winner in his life-long battle of the bulge
- Cockermouth Beer Festival goes down a treat
- New lease of life for historic Workington pub