Aidan, 19, brings younger voice to parish council
Last updated at 13:10, Friday, 01 February 2013
Dearham's Aidan Penn, 19, has entered the record books as the village’s youngest parish councillor.
Aidan, of Mid Town, said he had joined the council because he felt it needed a younger voice.
He said: “I have lived in Dearham all my life and wanted to put something back into the community.”
He works at Amcor Flexibles, Workington, and will attend his first parish council meeting next month.
He said: “I will sit and listen before I make any contribution.”
He said that Dearham was fortunate because it had a good youth group which he would be supporting through the council.
Aidan added: “There are other decisions being made where a young person’s point of view could be helpful.”
He has already had a taste of meeting procedures as a member of the local allotment committee.
He said his friends were supportive of his decision to become a councillor.
Aidan could be the youngest parish councillor in Cumbria. Workington mayor Andrew Lawson became the town’s youngest mayor ever at 21 and was aged 20 when elected to Workington Town Council.
First published at 12:55, Friday, 01 February 2013
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Don't forget to pick up this week's Times & Star!
- You look like that man off the TV!
- Farmer keeps 260ft turbine bid in motion with appeal (3 comments)
- Workington arson victim fears mistaken identity
- June 11 launch for West Cumbria flood defences
- Workington store closing (1 comment)
- Fish factory axes 40 jobs after loss of key contract (1 comment)
- Wedding guest left for dead after Workington hit and run
- Obituary - Richard Wimpress, of Cockermouth
- Herdwick given EU protected status
- Plan to build 50 homes in West Cumbrian village (5 comments)
- Crash blocks busy Cumbrian road junction
- Angry Cumbrian MP and council leader write to David Cameron about Sellafield deal (3 comments)
- Cumbrian charity shocked by young carer numbers
- Cumbrian hospital operating theatres to stay shut after alert