Behind every young mayor is a good woman. . .
Last updated at 19:48, Thursday, 10 May 2012
History was made in Workington this week as 21-year-old Andrew Lawson became the town’s youngest ever mayor.
But behind every good man is a good woman.
In Andrew’s case, that’s close friend and colleague Carly Wilson, 23, who he described as a rock in his life.
Carly will be his mayoress over the next 12 months.
He said: “I wanted somebody who I enjoy spending time with, who I can trust and who will support me.”
A mayoress cannot be seen in the same outfit twice and Carly admitted she had already done a bit of clothes shopping in preparation.
She added: “I’m looking forward to that aspect. There have been a couple of new additions so far but there will be more to come.”
Carly, a former Stainburn School pupil, said: “I just want to be here to support Andrew, to help him along and make sure his year goes smoothly.
“I believe in his enthusiasm and I believe in what he is aiming for.”
The pair’s bosses at the town’s Henry Bessemer pub are understanding of their new roles, which will see them attend functions across Cumbria.
Andrew, of Napier Street, will also be supported by deputy mayor Konrad Hansen, 37, of Frances Court.
During his year in office, Andrew will support the 4th Workington Scouts and Guides and Workington Sea Cadets, for their emphasis on young people, and Workington RNLI.
l Full story – Page 4
First published at 19:25, Thursday, 10 May 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Proud to be Cumbrian? Tell us why!
- Maryport gets life-saving campaign boost
- Candidates stand up to scrutiny at hustings
- Trevor’s photography hobby soars to even greater heights
- Computer helps Laura in her bid to communicate
- Thousands expected to flock to key sheep show in Cockermouth
- Workington factory ends production (1 comment)
- Motley crew to light up stage a prelude to Georgian Fair
- Drive for new volunteers for vital car service (1 comment)
- New task force to tackle town’s pigeon population (2 comments)