Call for Workington estate developer to extend school
Last updated at 11:53, Friday, 27 July 2012
A new 75-home estate may be built in Workington if the developer agrees to pay for a local school extension and traffic-calming measures, councillors agreed.
The county council this week backed a plan by Story Homes to build on land off Main Road, High Harrington.
It was estimated, however, that the estate could mean seven extra pupils for Beckstone Primary School.
Members of the council’s development control committee agreed that Story Homes should be asked to pay either £84,357 to extend the school or £39,900 for 10 years to transport extra pupils to other schools.
The panel also recommended that traffic-calming measures, to be provided by the company, should be installed on Main Road.
County highways proposed that there should be an informal pedestrian crossing point with refuge, road narrowing and new signs.
The estate, near Kiln Green, would be a mixture of two, three and four-bedroom homes and would include an allocation of “affordable housing” and children’s play area.
Story Homes said: “We are aware of the report that has been produced by Cumbria County Council. However, discussions regarding the contents of the report are ongoing and it is too early for us to make any comments at this stage.”
Allerdale council will make the final decision on the plans by Story Homes.
First published at 19:25, Thursday, 26 July 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Don't forget to pick up this week's Times & Star!
- You look like that man off the TV!
- Farmer keeps 260ft turbine bid in motion with appeal (3 comments)
- Workington arson victim fears mistaken identity
- June 11 launch for West Cumbria flood defences
- Workington store closing (1 comment)
- Fish factory axes 40 jobs after loss of key contract (1 comment)
- Wedding guest left for dead after Workington hit and run
- Obituary - Richard Wimpress, of Cockermouth
- Herdwick given EU protected status