David Blunkett comes to Workington
Published at 13:10, Friday, 25 January 2013
Former political big-hitter David Blunkett will be the guest speaker at the Mayor of Workington’s civic dinner.
The ex-Labour Home Secretary has been invited by Andrew Lawson, 22, to the Washington Central Hotel event on March 14.
The pair met in Workington in 2011 when Mr Blunkett, 65, a Sheffield MP, was canvassing.
Mr Lawson said: “I am sure that whatever he says in his speech will be interesting. He is a remarkable man who has had to face a lot of barriers.”
Money raised from the dinner will go towards Mr Lawson’s mayoral charities – the 4th Workington Scouts and Guides, Workington Sea Cadets and Workington RNLI.
Mr Blunkett, who has been blind since birth, was 22 when elected as the youngest ever councillor on Sheffield’s town council in 1970.
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Workington Hall safety work begins
- PHOTOS: Troops march into the heart of Maryport
- Wreath mission to war graves of town’s fallen
- Garage beauty salon’s 10 years
- Keswick's former pencil factory to be sold
- Gary the Ferret’s big day out leads to uproar on bus
- Bid to replace vandalised seating
- Judge tells allotment holders to leave in six weeks
- Traders in TV advert push to promote town (2 comments)
- Friends plan party to remember Chloe at 21