David Blunkett comes to Workington
Published at 13:10, Friday, 25 January 2013
Former political big-hitter David Blunkett will be the guest speaker at the Mayor of Workington’s civic dinner.
The ex-Labour Home Secretary has been invited by Andrew Lawson, 22, to the Washington Central Hotel event on March 14.
The pair met in Workington in 2011 when Mr Blunkett, 65, a Sheffield MP, was canvassing.
Mr Lawson said: “I am sure that whatever he says in his speech will be interesting. He is a remarkable man who has had to face a lot of barriers.”
Money raised from the dinner will go towards Mr Lawson’s mayoral charities – the 4th Workington Scouts and Guides, Workington Sea Cadets and Workington RNLI.
Mr Blunkett, who has been blind since birth, was 22 when elected as the youngest ever councillor on Sheffield’s town council in 1970.
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Coal mining memorial planned for town centre
- Free surprise as Julie says it with flowers
- Teacher earns trophy by a whisker
- ‘Three-year wait’ for disc parking on Cockermouth street
- Council pair offer £9,000 to end years of misery for bus passengers
- Tony’s now a winner in his life-long battle of the bulge
- Cockermouth Beer Festival goes down a treat
- New lease of life for historic Workington pub
- Author’s visit to school is no fantasy
- Fallen tree closes main West Cumbria road