David Blunkett comes to Workington
Published at 13:10, Friday, 25 January 2013
Former political big-hitter David Blunkett will be the guest speaker at the Mayor of Workington’s civic dinner.
The ex-Labour Home Secretary has been invited by Andrew Lawson, 22, to the Washington Central Hotel event on March 14.
The pair met in Workington in 2011 when Mr Blunkett, 65, a Sheffield MP, was canvassing.
Mr Lawson said: “I am sure that whatever he says in his speech will be interesting. He is a remarkable man who has had to face a lot of barriers.”
Money raised from the dinner will go towards Mr Lawson’s mayoral charities – the 4th Workington Scouts and Guides, Workington Sea Cadets and Workington RNLI.
Mr Blunkett, who has been blind since birth, was 22 when elected as the youngest ever councillor on Sheffield’s town council in 1970.
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Father leads fight to save St Bees School
- Chris to lead artistic way at Cockermouth's Kirkgate Centre
- Seaton allotments owner taking holders to court
- ‘Baby Elliott pulled through and now we want to say thanks’
- Workington’s new pub opens next week
- Salute for British Legion stalwart in branch appeal
- Action group to raise A596 report findings
- West Cumbrian consultant in ‘fat cat’ pay claim media storm
- Takeaway set to cook up a treat in Maryport
- Workington MP hopefuls face public questions (1 comment)