David Blunkett comes to Workington
Published at 13:10, Friday, 25 January 2013
Former political big-hitter David Blunkett will be the guest speaker at the Mayor of Workington’s civic dinner.
The ex-Labour Home Secretary has been invited by Andrew Lawson, 22, to the Washington Central Hotel event on March 14.
The pair met in Workington in 2011 when Mr Blunkett, 65, a Sheffield MP, was canvassing.
Mr Lawson said: “I am sure that whatever he says in his speech will be interesting. He is a remarkable man who has had to face a lot of barriers.”
Money raised from the dinner will go towards Mr Lawson’s mayoral charities – the 4th Workington Scouts and Guides, Workington Sea Cadets and Workington RNLI.
Mr Blunkett, who has been blind since birth, was 22 when elected as the youngest ever councillor on Sheffield’s town council in 1970.
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Pupils feel the beat at drumming workshop
- Couple’s aid for Romania passes 2,000 boxes mark
- Actors find Lost Boy in four days
- Tennis match reaches 50 years
- New WI aimed at helping women build friendships
- Proposals to move maternity services to Cockermouth
- Rescue plan for iconic West Cumbrian church
- Hospital woes spark vicar’s letter to PM
- Britain’s Afghan campaign was ‘worthwhile’ says mum
- Bench in memory of Trevor Fee