David Blunkett comes to Workington
Published at 13:10, Friday, 25 January 2013
Former political big-hitter David Blunkett will be the guest speaker at the Mayor of Workington’s civic dinner.
The ex-Labour Home Secretary has been invited by Andrew Lawson, 22, to the Washington Central Hotel event on March 14.
The pair met in Workington in 2011 when Mr Blunkett, 65, a Sheffield MP, was canvassing.
Mr Lawson said: “I am sure that whatever he says in his speech will be interesting. He is a remarkable man who has had to face a lot of barriers.”
Money raised from the dinner will go towards Mr Lawson’s mayoral charities – the 4th Workington Scouts and Guides, Workington Sea Cadets and Workington RNLI.
Mr Blunkett, who has been blind since birth, was 22 when elected as the youngest ever councillor on Sheffield’s town council in 1970.
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- NEW PHOTOS: Sun shone on Sealy Spyatstock
- Day out at Maryport for Iggesund golfers
- Frank built 42-year career with West Cumbrian construction company
- Workington care home put residents’ safety ‘at risk’
- West Cumbria woman Harriet turns 100
- Performing arts hub planned for Workington
- Workington boy scores top marks for school attendance
- Council couple lead Maryport parking charge fight
- Help former Workington Reds kit man net charity cash
- Double retirement for West Cumbria teaching couple