New allotments plan for Workington
Last updated at 14:13, Friday, 06 June 2014
A bid has been made to create new allotments in Workington to help relieve the amount of people waiting for a plot.
Workington Town Council wants to take over two pieces of land off Solway Road.
The council plans to turn a piece of agricultural land near to Derwent Road into an allotment site.
There are more than 90 people on the council’s allotment waiting list and the redevelopment of the land could create up to 80 plots.
The council also wants to turn an area of scrub land between the Kerry Park Trading Estate and Forgehill Park housing estate into a community open space, which could possibly become a nature reserve.
The site lies on the England Coast Path National Trail and includes a pond.
Fly-tippers have littered part of the land and another part is occupied by a dog breeder, but the council does not want to takeover the breeder’s plot.
The site would be developed through the Workington Nature Partnership.
Both plots of land are owned by Cumbria County Council, but the town council wants to transfer them into its ownership.
The county council has accepted both sites as valid community assets suitable for transfer.
The town council must now submit a business plan, which will go before the county council’s local area committee for Allerdale next month and then the county council’s cabinet in September.
First published at 14:12, Friday, 06 June 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- West Cumbria housing estate scheme gets green light
- Maryport take-away plans approved
- Controversial Workington cross can stay (1 comment)
- Workington man wins fight to keep 9ft-high crucifix (7 comments)
- New Taste Cumbria food fair launched
- Woman, 50, found dead in Maryport
- An appointment with the doctor in Aspatria
- Call for more cyclists to join Team Townend Challenge
- Beauty beats bullies with dress design
- Lulu named as Maryport Blues Festival headliner (7 comments)