X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Sunday, 23 November 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

New chance to block Maryport homes, say protesters

A new rallying call has been made for people to object to plans for a controversial housing estate in Maryport.

A recent amendment to the Story Homes scheme, on land off Netherhall Road, has opened up a second period of formal public consultation.

The Friends of Deer Park group, which was set up to block the estate, yesterday urged people to take advantage of this second chance to comment on the 152-home estate opposite Netherhall School.

The new submissions period comes in the wake of an amendment to the planning application.

Allerdale council confirmed that all previous submissions will stand but people now have until January 28 to make any new comments.

Bill Barnes, of the Friends of Deer Park, said: “It has crept up on a public that has demonstrated in its thousands that these houses are not wanted or needed.”

He said it was an ideal opportunity to ensure that planners learned the strength of feeling in the town.

He said: “Allerdale has already received a petition from us with over 2,000 signatures. In a town of this size that is a remarkable number and I don’t think they can ignore it.

“I would ask anyone concerned about the estate to get their objections or submissions in.”

Story Homes had been advised by the council that it would not need an Environmental Impact Assessment for the site, but this was challenged by a lawyer acting for the Friends group and the planners then decided the assessment was required.

A spokeswoman for Story Homes confirmed that the re-consultation was only about the environmental assessment.

There had been minor changes to the design of some houses but no changes to the number of houses or the overall layout.

The scheme would see 71 four-bedroom, 58 three-bedroom and 15 two-bedroom houses and eight two-bedroom bungalows built of red sandstone.

The council had received 127 individual objections and two petitions during the first consultation in 2011.

There were also 24 submissions supporting the proposal.

Since the consultation re-opened a further five objections have been received.

Some residents warned that the estate could create traffic chaos on Netherhall Road.

Story Homes’ chief Fred Story has said that he would include traffic safety measures in his plans.

l Letters – Page 11

Have your say

cant believe how many people get on their high horse about housing development projects in the major cumbrian towns. cumbria is currently stagnent and we NEED these housing projects to help stimulate growth. people need to stop all the nonsence petitions stopping wasted land being developed.

Posted by al on 29 January 2013 at 22:36

cant believe how many people get on their high horse about housing development projects in the major cumbrian towns. cumbria is currently stagnent and we NEED these housing projects to help stimulate growth. people need to stop all the nonsence petitions stopping wasted land being developed.

Posted by al on 29 January 2013 at 21:29

View all 6 comments on this article

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment


SHARE THIS ARTICLE

Hot jobs
Search for:

Vote

Was Cumbria County Council right to scrap its plans for on-street parking charges?

Yes - we shouldn't have to pay

No - we'll just end up paying the county in some other way, like council tax

Show Result