Seaton allotment holders plan action
Last updated at 19:50, Thursday, 05 April 2012
Seaton allotment holders will ask for a meeting with the village’s full parish council after being told they will be handed an eviction notice.
The allotment holders attended a meeting at Seaton British Legion on Tuesday to discuss what action they should take.
They were told by the parish council that notice would not be served until October at the earliest, but the council has since agreed to serve notice almost immediately after receiving a letter from the new owners’ solicitors.
Peter Vaughan, 41, of Derwent Bank, secretary of the allotments committee, said he had contacted the National Society of Allotment and Leisure Gardeners to seek support.
Mr Vaughan confirmed that he had not received any eviction notice from the council. Other members also said they hadn’t yet had any correspondence.
Mr Vaughan said he was seeking legal advice and had asked for a stay of execution, which would prevent further steps being taken.
He claimed that a meeting between the parish council and the land owners which took place behind closed doors on Monday, March 19, should not have been allowed.
He said the council should release what was discussed and that allotment holders had a case for compensation as they felt they had been misled by the council about the length of the lease, which they believed had 16 years left.
He said some plot holders had spent a lot of money believing they could be there for the next 16 years.
Mr Vaughan said he would contact parish council chairman Trevor Fee to see if the allotment holders could go in front of a full council. He also said he would ask Workington MP Tony Cunningham to get involved.
He questioned why the council spent £5,000 on paths when it knew the allotment holders could be asked to leave at any moment.
Plot holders agreed to start a petition entitled Save Seaton’s Community Allotments. They will meet again on Tuesday, April 24, at 7.30pm in Seaton British Legion.
First published at 19:23, Thursday, 05 April 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
I believe Mr Vaughan needs to apologise for his unfounded comments re secret meeting 'behind closed doors' between the Parish Council and the land owners as this meetting never took place and was never planned . He will probably find this out when the gardeners meet with the pc shortly
To yeoman (12.4.2012)
NO contracts on the land were insitu. In fact the Parish Council only had a contract from 1952 until 1957, from then I belive it became yearly rolling. Why didn't these allotment holders club together when asked and buy said land for themselves?
View all 4 comments on this article