Tribunal hears of campaign by parish councillors to get rid of clerk
Last updated at 20:34, Thursday, 28 October 2010
A CAMPAIGN by parish councillors to get rid of their clerk left her with no option other than to resign, she told an employment tribunal yesterday.
Jill Hunter told the tribunal, held in Carlisle, that she had been subjected to bullying and harassment by Brian Beck and Brian Lancaster, of the then Broughton Community Council, prior to her resignation in April.
Mrs Hunter, who had been the council’s executive and financial officer for three years, is claiming constructive dismissal and breach of contract against the council, now called Broughton Parish Council.
Speaking on the opening day of the tribunal yesterday, she said: “The actions taken against me and the treatment I received resulted in my resignation.”
Representing herself, she said the aim of bringing the case to the tribunal was to prove that she was correct, as well as seeking compensation.
She said she felt councillors Beck and Lancaster were trying to get rid of her and replace her with former parish clerk Peter Wilson.
In an 18-page statement, she described several incidents between her and the councillors, including allegations that she ignored or failed to respond to letters, signed a cheque without authorisation and was bullied and harassed in meetings. She said Coun Lancaster told her to be quiet and refused her the opportunity to advise councillors during meetings.
This, she claimed, led to a meeting being abandoned and other councillors deciding they could not hold further meetings.
Then, she said, councillors Beck and Lancaster complained about the lack of meetings and blamed Mrs Hunter for none being held.
She added: “I have been told in the past by Coun Lancaster not to talk or interrupt him. I have also been told by Coun Beck that I should be quiet because I was only at meetings merely to take minutes.”
She said cheques made out outside of council meetings related to contractual payments which could have affected services if not paid and they were always authorised by the chairman and vice-chairman.
The tribunal, expected to finish this afternoon, continues.
First published at 19:34, Thursday, 28 October 2010
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Go-ahead for 320-home Cockermouth estate (7 comments)
- Pupils' plea for new lollipop man or woman
- Double retirement at Aspatria's Beacon Hill School
- Pharmacy opening times over Christmas and new year
- Council services during festive period
- Search for family of VC hero ahead of memorial event
- Anger at closure of town register office
- Man airlifted to hospital after major fall in Workington
- Controversial Cockermouth housing estate plans given go ahead by Allerdale council (2 comments)
- West Cumbrian road closed as water main bursts
- Cumbria's jobless total continues to fall
- Speakers inspire women during launch of network
- 39 young Cumbrians find work experience Dream Placement
- Cumbria sixth formers put through paces for dream placements
- It’s a cut-throat business for traditional shop
- We won’t leave firms high and dry - partnership boss
- Grab chance to get funds
- Workers’ accolades prove they’re jolly good fellows
- Lady of the Lake enjoys a stunning view from office
- Tremendous Texels topped market at mart
- Heavy rain warning for Cumbria
- Police hunt for Cumbrian flasher
- Cumbrian shoppers boost businesses
- Window punched in Barrow
- Police appeal for witnesses to serious assault
- Victim left with facial injuries after Carlisle assault
- Killer of Furness 'gentle giant' walks free (14 comments)
- Vandals ruin Millom Christmas tree
- Barrow man who made his neighbour's life hell avoids jail
- Driver of sports car sought over Dalton collision