Turbine plan said to threaten Derwent Forest development
Published at 13:57, Friday, 11 January 2013
The people behind the redevelopment of the former Royal Navy armaments depot at Broughton Moor fear that a proposed wind turbine at Dearham could jeopardise their plans.
Energy firm Infinergy wants to put up a 250ft turbine at West House Farm, which it says would generate up to 500kW of electricity.
But Story Homes and Derwent Forest Development Consortium have objected on the grounds that the turbine could harm the proposed development of the Derwent Forest site.
Their objection, sent to Allerdale council, said that Infinergy had failed to take adequate account of the potential impact of the turbine on the proposed development of Derwent Forest, which is itself backed by Allerdale council policy.
It added: “The proposed wind turbine will have a potential adverse impact on the proposed development at Derwent Forest which may render the financial model to restore the site unworkable.”
The development consortium plans to sell off housing plots around the edge of the 1,050-acre site to fund the renovation of the rest of the site.
Fifteen individual objections have been lodged against the turbine plan, including nine from Dearham villagers.
Tim Workman, of Sunny Slack, said: “They are total eyesores. We have enough turbines already in our neighbourhood, which is turning what was a beautiful green belt into something resembling an industrial wasteland.”
Stephen Murray, of Broughton Moor, said: “Very soon we will be living within wind turbine farms as they consume every free space these so-called green energy companies can acquire for their profit-making purposes.”
Edward May, of Rowbeck Farm, Dearham, said the turbine would harm birds and spoil the environment, peace and tranquility of the area.
Westnewton Action Group has also objected.
Seven letters of support have been sent in from people living in the Maryport and Cockermouth areas and as far as Kirkby Stephen and Alloa in Scotland.
Meanwhile, people living at Dearham’s Old Orchard and Row Brow claim that villagers were not given sufficient time to respond to the plans as a site notice was not posted until last Friday, six days before the consultation ended.
But Allerdale council said a notice was posted on December 20.
John McCartney, 58, of Old Orchard, said: “Our view of Skiddaw had already been destroyed by the Tallentire wind turbines. It is ridiculous that more are going up.”
A council spokesman said: “According to regulations regarding consultation on planning applications, the council is required to publicise a planning application by site notice or by notifying adjoining occupiers.
“In this case we did a combination of both.
“The council is not under any obligation to contact other individual residents.
“The council will continue to accept representations until the application is determined.”
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Boiler problem shuts Workington swimming pools
- Charity bike ride next week
- Kirstie’s cash support for murder mum’s kids (1 comment)
- Mum slims down after fairground ride shame
- Cockermouth Carnival is cancelled (2 comments)
- HAVE YOUR SAY: Plans for Workington Hall in pipeline (3 comments)
- Bargain Hunt crew visits West Cumbria
- Bid to revitalise Workington's 'industrial spine' as Eastman plant closes (10 comments)
- Sarah Millican comes to Keswick
- COMING SOON: Uppies and Downies as it happens