Police name man who died after being hit by car on main Cumbrian road
Last updated at 14:06, Wednesday, 16 January 2013
A man has died in hospital after being hit by a car on a busy Cumbrian road.
James Henry Smith, aged 54, of Hyde Street, Workington, passed away in the West Cumberland Hospital, Whitehaven, this morning following the collision near the Town Hall on Oxford Street, Workington, at 5.45pm yesterday.
Police last night said that pedestrian Mr Smith had sustained serious head injuries.
Mr Smith, known as Jim, was involved in a collision with a grey Honda CR-V car, being driven by a 50-year-old woman from the Workington area.
She was arrested at the scene on suspicion of driving without due care and attention. She has since been released on bail.
Specially trained police officers are supporting Mr Smith's family.
The road was closed for about four hours while collision investigators worked at the scene. Traffic diversions were put in place.
Anyone who saw the incident should call PC David Edwards, of Cumbria Roads Policing Unit, on 101.
First published at 19:15, Tuesday, 15 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Bid to revitalise Workington's 'industrial spine' as Eastman plant closes (6 comments)
- Legal challenge over Cockermouth's Taste Cumbria event (16 comments)
- Mum slims down after fairground ride shame
- Nuclear college to be built in West Cumbria (8 comments)
- Kirstie’s cash support for murder mum’s kids