Workington Comets sign Dane Simon Nielsen
Last updated at 12:59, Friday, 02 September 2011
Workington Comets have signed Danish 20-year-old Simon Nielsen to replace the sacked James Wright.
Nielsen, a former member of the Danish U19 team, will come into the main body of the team with Rusty Harrison moving to No1, Kenny Ingalls dropping down to reserve and rider replacement operating for Peter Kildemand.
Meanwhile Wright has quickly been fixed up to ride at No1 for Somerset and it was widely rumoured that the man he replaced, Travis McGowan, would be coming to the Comets as part of a swap deal.
Owner Keith Denham said that would have been the case if John Oliver, due to sign on Tuesday to take Kildemand’s spot, had been in the team but he was ruled out for the rest of the season when he broke both ankles and two vertebrae in a crash riding for his National league side Scunthorpe.
That meant Kildemand was still officially in the side and signing McGowan would have made the team’s averages too high.
Therefore, Workington went for Nielsen on the recommendation of Swindon manger and former Danish team manager, Jan Staechmann, who was also the man who recommended Kildemand to the Comets two years ago.
Denham said: “Simon will come in on an assessed seven-point average and be based down in King’s Lynn.
“He is due to line up in the team on Saturday but we are not sure what we are going to get from him because he needs to get to know all the tracks so it will be a learning curve for him.”
Workington face Ipswich tomorrow at Derwent Park, starting at 7pm, aiming to keep their unbeaten home record going which was seriously threatened at home to Berwick last week, where Comets prevailed by a single point.
It still leaves them six points behind second-placed Sheffield with three home matches in hand.
Denham added: “I am confident enough against Ipswich and once everything settles down we should be all right.”
Meanwhile Ingalls has been told by Denham that he needs to prove his fitness or he could be released.
The Californian has been missing since the end of July with a shoulder injury but is due to return this weekend.
First published at 19:23, Thursday, 01 September 2011
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- 45 people evacuated as bus catches fire near Cockermouth
- Missing ex-England rugby league international found safe and well
- Tributes to Cumbria crash tragedy teenager
- 'We want hospital we were promised', MP tells 4,000-strong health rally (39 comments)
- Talks continue over Workington slag banks crucifix (21 comments)